Erica Fain
Participant

I will never forget hearing the term LTEL for the first time; I had to Google it while sitting in a consortium meeting of my peers. I thought I had a firm grasp of EL jargon, but LTEL was a new one to me that spring. I started reading about them which led to researching my district to find out just how many LTELs we had. What I found was pretty interesting; 97% of our LTELs were identified as ELs while attending an elementary school within our district. These were not mobile students. They had been in our charge for the duration of their education, yet they were still unable to attain English Language Proficiency (according to OKSDE criteria) in under 6 years. Now 97% sounds like a lot, but in our defense, we are talking about 85 students out of about 1,200 ELs in a district of about 25,000. Even more interesting was the fact that about half of those 85 LTELs attended 2 elementary schools both of which are Title I schools. Sounds like poverty definitely plays a role in LTEL status. Fortunately I was able to add 2 additional EL teachers after I presented this information to my associate superintendent, but I’m not sure that’s enough. My team and I need specific information on how we can A. help those who have slipped into LTEL status and B. help our ELs avoid becoming a part of an LTEL statistic down the road. Looking forward to hearing from you on Monday Dr. Mooney! Thanks for sharing your expertise on ELs with your articles and discussion boards!

About          Articles          Discussion          Resources

Copyright ©2024 Angela J. Mooney, Ph.D. All Rights Reserved.

CONTACT US

Have a question or a challenge? Send us a message, and we'll get back to you quickly by email.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account